Recently I have a blogger friend’s comment which went to my spam folder. This happens all the time. Since I have a draft post on Akismet advice on spam, which is sitting in my draft for a year. I thought I may as well finish it.
If you see a regular comment from your friends on your Akismet page or Spam folder, just click the “Approve” button or the “Not Spam” checkbox and submit and the comment will be sent back to Akismet as a mistake. The system will learn from your submission, though it may take a day or so in some cases. We know what we do with this, except how often do we remember to check the spam folder? That’s the question.
It may also be the case that when you try to commend on several blogs, all your comments went to everyone’s spam boxes!!! This can be horrifying I know, but stay calm and contact Akismet, I will show you how in a minute.
These comments are called “False Positives“, Akismet said they are extremely rare but it happens to the best of us. I panicked when this first happened to me, after some research I managed to get it sorted by going through the following steps:
- First you visit the page http://akismet.com/support/. Read all the FAQs if you like but you should scroll all the way down until you see this statement “If that doesn’t fix the problem, please contact support and we’ll investigate.”
- Click on “Contact support” link that will send you to this page http://akismet.com/contact/ with a question below:
3. I suggest you type: “unspam my comments on other blogs” Scroll down until you see “Please tell us more” and a contact form below:
4. Select the radio button that says “I think Akismet is catching my comments by mistake” and fill up the form especially the email address that you use to commend on wordpress blogs. Make sure you provide an answer to the maths above so that Akismet know that you are not a machine.
5. Please don’t forget to press the “submit” button.
6. Akismet will then get in touch with you either to let you know that the problem has been resolved or seek further clarification.
If you notice the fine print below the form once you choose the specified radio button:
” * Note about this question. You might wonder, if these guys are so good at spam blocking why would they put a stupid question like this on their contact form to keep spam out? Well, Akismet is great at protecting contact forms, we use it on all our other sites, but on Akismet.com sometimes people use the contact form to tell us they’re being blocked by Akismet.
If you think about that, blocking people when they’re trying to tell us they’re wrongly blocked would probably frustrate them, hence the math question.”🙂
All the very best of luck. Let me know if this works.
On a side note, I am still on a reading slump. There has been some issues at the workplace, my job is at stake… so I won’t be around here much.
I wish you all the very best and have a fantastic summer!